Mac and cheese might have been one of the first meals you learned to make. It’s delicious and versatile. Even the most simple boxed mac and cheeses can please a picky palate. Someone took the liberty of ranking a few of the boxed brands on the market. Here’s the list if you want to take a look and judge for yourself.
1. Walmart Great Value . . . He says, “It’s my hands-down winner, regardless of price point . . . but if you add in the fact that a box costs mere cents, I’ll have a hard time ever buying anything else.” Price per box: $0.34. Not a typo.
2. Velveeta . . . “There will always be Velveeta haters . . . but in my opinion, this stuff is just indescribably delicious.” Price: $3.59.
3. Kraft Deluxe . . . “A rich, creamy sauce that packs in a whole lot of flavor makes this ‘deluxe’ version of Kraft’s classic mac worth every penny.” Price: $3.59.
4. Annie’s Original . . . “Sometimes the classics really do reign supreme.” Price: $3.19.
5. Trader Joe’s . . . “Is it perfect? No. But it’s certainly a solid choice, especially at its very budget-friendly price point.” Price: $0.99.
6. Annie’s Grassfed . . . “I had high hopes for the ‘grass-fed’ version of the classic Annie’s I’ve always loved, so I’m sad to report that not a SINGLE element here was exciting.” Price: $3.29.
7. Kraft Original . . . “For nostalgic reasons, I’ll never quit you, Kraft . . . but yikes, was your mac-and-cheese always this basic?” Price: $1.00.
8. Whole Foods 365 . . . “The price may be more or less right, especially for an organic option . . . but the flavor couldn’t have been more WRONG.” Price: $1.49.
9. Banza . . . This is a gluten-free brand where the pasta is made out of CHICKPEAS. He said, “When it’s served in a deeply flavorful sauce, that bean-y taste can be more or less masked. Since their cheese sauce was subpar at best, all that chickpea flavor was the first thing to hit my taste buds.” Price: $3.99.